Domesticate Me // Rainbow Cupcakes

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

When I started this series I wanted it to be honest and actually help other domestically challenged people like me.  A place on the web where you can come learn a trick or two and see what not to do.

At the beginning I knew there would be some ups but mostly a lot of downs.

Remember my mention to the bunt cake massacre of 2009? Well, I give you the rainbow cupcake massacre of 2012.  Visually more appealing, same ol' mess.

I not only burnt these innocent cupcakes but I also...forgot the Pam...again.

I wish I was making this up.
I'll start from the beginning...round one.
I found this recipe a few years ago from this blog, it's such a fun idea to swap in the normal ingredients for some diet pop.  Head over there to see the rainbow cake!

Ingredients:
Cake mix
Diet Sprite or ginger ale (1 can per cake box)
food colouring
frosting

 (yup, that's it! follow the photos for the directions!)
What I learned (round one):
1. Food colouring, oh man does it ever stain (my fingers were Ty-dyed)

2. So as you saw above I forgot the pam, I thought I was okay with the non-stick pan and all but nope.  Then I burnt them (the fancy yellow mix tricked me, it looked like it was still doughy but was cooked...the extra 5 minutes did those poor rainbow cakes in)...and THEN I realized instead of pouring 255mL into the mix (one can per box) I put in 355mL.  Sticky burnt paste. Oh what a glorious texture.

3. To remove food colouring from counter use Mr. clean magic eraser (woah works wonders!)

4. I now understand the importance of planning ahead and measuring.  TIP: Pick your base colour this bowl should have more than the others, the second colour a little less. Turns out I was wrong to make all the bowls equal (see below). Sounds like a no brainier...but yes I did not anticipate this, I crossed my fingers hoped for the best...living and learning. 

and so...onto round two
 I wasn't taking any chances this time, so hello cute little cupcake cups!
 already learning from round one, same patterns and proper amounts!
 yayy!
Baking instructions:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees for 18 minutes (safe bet: follow the boxes instructions is

What I learned (round 2):
1. Don't worry if things don't turn out the way you hoped.  It's a learning experience and every mistake will get you closer to perfecting it the next time!

I'm about to get after school special on you all....Learn with me, grow with me & we'll soon be domestic goddesses..and with that my domestication continues ;)

Hope you all enjoyed this
Lots of love,
Anna
xo

bloglovin

5 comments:

  1. Diet Coke works, too! Makes the cakes vegan, I believe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fantastic! We had tons of those lying around too..next time!

      Delete
  2. Those look really yummy and colorful! Stacked up, it would make a cute birthday "cake".

    -Jenn
    chīsana blogger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job they look so yummy Anna!

    http://fashionyard.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

My Elsewhere

Anna With Love Test © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger